As I was doing last minute math problems in the beginning of calculus class, my friend who sits beside me points at the wedding band on my ring finger and asks, "So you're married?" And the conversation continues like this:
Me: No, it was my grandma's wedding band, but it's my purity ring.
Friend: Wow, that's gotta be a bummer for any boyfriends you have!
Me: Yes, I guess so, but it'll be an incredible gift to give to my husband someday.
Friend: Your husband? What's he gonna do with a ring?
Me: It's symbolic, bro.
Friend: Oh, that makes sense. Wow... I guess I never thought that far ahead.
Thinking "that far ahead" or having a vision is something that's been foundational for me as I've switched schools. No, it doesn't just apply to sexual purity; it applies to life and all its aspects. I want to be a virgin until I'm married. That's my vision. That's my motivation to say no to what I need to.
I want to be an image of Christ to those who need Him. That's my vision. That's my motivation to live as much like He did as I can and to make good choices.
A big part of establishing a vision, as you can see, is deciding who you want to be. You have to want it to get it. To be as Christ-like as possible, I have to want to be a Christian. I have to want to follow God and His lawful will. Wanting "it" also assists with the drive to follow through with this commitment.
Now I'm just rambling. Guys, make visions for your life. It helps you prioritize. It shows you who you are in Christ. It assists in the balancing act of walking down the narrow road. Well, it did for me.
Rachel
No comments:
Post a Comment